Sunday, May 4, 2014

Tulle Skirt DIY

Hey friends!



       This year I repeatedly saw tulle skirts on the blogosphere, and it was love at first sight.  Ever since childhood I have been a sucker for a floofy skirt, and clearly not much has changed.  They take a little guts to wear, but they are so fun and feminine. 

I searched online and my favorite by far was the Karinska skirt by Anthropologie (which is sold out anyway).  Like most things that wondrous brand produces, it was far out of my price range - $188.  I wouldn't pay that for a classic everyday piece let alone a statement piece that can't be worn very often.

I found a DIY thanks to Blue Hour DIY and Bowties & Baubles and bought some off-white tulle and ribbon at Wally World for less than $10 altogether. Then I found a pale khaki skirt with an A-line shape at goodwill for $4 so I didnt have to bother with the under layer or zipper.  I called upon an expert sewer (who prefers to remain anonymous) to stitch the tulle and ribbon onto the thrifted skirt.  I can barely replace a lost button so this was out of my DIY league.

It wasn't easy to cut or stitch tulle - it gave us a run for our money and turned into a 4-5 hour project when all was said and done.  If you can sew and have some time, it's a steal.

This month I will show you 3 ways to style this trendy piece and here is the first - a ladylike muted combination perfect for a get-together with friends, dinner out or sight-seeing in a new city!  I would say it's work appropriate but I work with mostly men in trucking and I know this outfit will not be worth being the butt of their jokes on Monday! : ) If I worked as a fashion editor might be a different story...haha.

Here I am frolicking like a dummy in our backyard aka Italian Lake - which is gorgeous in spring with everything coming alive.





Shoes - H&M


Clutch - Forever 21

Top - Thrifted from Goodwill

Cardigan - Thrifted from Goodwill

Earrings - Thrifted from Goodwill

Skirt underlayer - Thrifted from Goodwill
 (are you sensing a theme here?)

Love you all and have a great start to the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment