Saturday, May 11, 2013

Red Carpet to Reality: Met Ball 2013

Hi ladies!

So... I am a red carpet junkie.  I love seeing the looks stylists create for celebrities for glamorous events, and one of my favorites has always been the Met Ball.  Also known as the Costume Institute Gala, it celebrates the yearly opening of the New York City Metropolitan Museum's fashion exhibit at the Costume Institute.  Vogue assembles the list of celebrity invites and it is regarded as one of New York City's most important social events.  This year's theme was "Punk: Chaos to Couture".  What does this tell us..um.. down to earth central Pennsylvanians?  Punk is going to be a trend for fall and winter 2013.  I believe that one can still rock red carpet trends in a more everyday style - or at least for special events if not to work or school.  Some themes I noticed:

*Lots of black (obviously)
*Sleek hair, often with a deep side part
*Deep cherry/purple lipstick and smokey eyes 
*Studs/Silver jewelry (silver is making a comeback!)
*Sharp angles on clothing - cutouts, strong shoulders, etc.
*Statement pieces/hair color

On this dreary Saturday, I took several red carpet looks from this past Monday's event and recreated them with my wardrobeI realized I had a little more punk in me than I thought I did!  

Ashley Olson's Look : Dress H&M $20, Shoes hand-me-downs from Zara, Necklace Forever 21 $12

Rooney Mara's Look: Dress: Hand-me-down from a friend (bought at a beach boardwalk shop), Shoes: Prabal Gurung for Target on clearance $28, Belt: Free with a dress, Earrings: gifted from a friend

Hilary Rhoad's Look: Shirt - Forever 21, $18, Pants - Zara, $28, Shoes - Nine West Outlet, $26, Purse - Thrifted, $3

Miranda Kerr/Lena Dunham's Look: Dress - Charlotte Russe, $23, Tights - Loft, $9.50, Shoe - UO $30, Earrings - Walmart, $3

Miranda Kerr's Bag Look: Clutch - Forever 21, $17, Bracelet - gifted, Nails - OPI in Lincoln Park After Dark


 
 

1 comment: